The student news site of Seneca Valley Senior High School.

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

Students show support for Solidarity Week

The week of November 6 to November 10 was Solidarity Week. Solidarity Week was created by GLSEN as a student-driven campaign whose purpose is to build support for LGBTQ+ students and educators. The purpose is to encourage solidarity across different communities for the LGBTQ+ community.

Seneca Valley is spreading the message through a theme-week. Monday students were asked to wear tie-dye as a representation of intersectionality. Intersectionality is the concept of all oppression being linked, and how the different parts of someone’s identity intersect. Tuesday students were asked to wear lavender in remembrance of the “lavender scare.” This was an event in the 1950s where the US government fired anyone suspected of being gay. Wednesday students were to wear pink and blue to stand in solidarity with transgender youth since that is the trans flag’s colors. Thursday was rainbow day since the rainbow has become a symbol for the LBGT community. Friday, students were asked to wear green to represent kindness since acting in solidarity is a way to show kindness.

Mrs. Mortier, sponsor for the GSA club, said, “Solidarity week reminds us that everyone has a unique identity that should be respected. It is a week to amplify the voices of allies in support of the LGBTQ+ community because all students deserve to be safe, seen, and welcomed at school.”

The theme week is a way for Seneca Valley’s students to show their support and stand in solidarity with LGBTQ+ students. It is important to recognize and celebrate each other’s differences and Solidarity Week is a great way to do that.