The student news site of Seneca Valley Senior High School.

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

The Art of Mr. Woolslare’s Passion for Art

Many may know Mr. Woolslare as the art teacher at Seneca Valley but do they know he is also a full-time artist with a big passion?

Mr. Woolslare first developed a love for art at a young age. By high school, he knew that art was something he wanted to pursue as a career. Mr. Woolslare had an interest to sell art and teach art which he is doing today. He says, “Art is one of the careers you can take different avenues to get there”.

Mr. Woolslare attended Edinboro University after he graduated high school where he got his degree in art education. After college, he went to Chicago to experience a different perspective in art by helping as a teaching assistant. His first job in art was teaching seventh and eighth grade students.

Although Mr. Woolslare is a full-time art teacher now, he has not given up his passion of creating his own artwork and continues to create art when he is not teaching. He says, “Creating art outside of school is like another full-time job.” Mr. Woolslare creates a lot of what you might call street art or pop-culture art. He says, “The stuff that I make is not for everyone and you kind of have to be comfortable enough with that.” Art has broadened his experiences and one of his notable encounters was at the Three Rivers Arts Festival when his work was bought by Mac Miller.

Mr. Woolslare says his favorite part of teaching at Seneca Valley is working with the students. He says, “We have the best students and I have been so lucky to work with so many talented people which makes me so excited every day.”

Mr. Woolslare’s passion for art continues to feed his excitement for teaching and creating art.