The student news site of Seneca Valley Senior High School.

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

SV photography students explore McConnells Mill State Park

Field trips—everyone hears that and thinks fun. Well, it was for these students who went on Seneca Valley’s photography trip to McConnells Mill on October 13.

Being a part of this trip could have made anyone’s day. It was a beautiful mid-October day with the colorful trees, the sound of water rushing in, and the birds peacefully singing. Even walking through the rocks and rubble could bring you peace of mind.

Students in photography have been working all year in their class getting photos for assignments. The Intermediate photography teacher, Mr. Shafer, who attended the trip, presented the opportunity for students to broaden their photo range, giving them about two weeks to sign up.

Three other teachers, SHS art teacher, Mr. Woolslare, IHS art teacher, Mr. Shorr, and IHS metal fab teacher, Mr. Ehrenberger, as well as 29 students in total, participated. Natalie Wilson is one of those students who enjoyed herself on the field trip, saying, “This was very fun, I got to see outdoors and take a break from normal school as well as being able to hang with my friends and take cool pictures.”

Some other students who came along for the ride agreed. Some even said they loved the freedom the teachers gave the students, giving them the responsibility to be on time and to wander where they pleased if they stayed with their partner of choice. Students were seen climbing on rocks, sitting near the water, and watching water falling from high rocks, even looking for animals running about.

Due to the lack of students needed to fill the bus, several students outside of photography class were able to join in on the trip, if they had all the forms completed. These opportunities may be for specific classes but watch out! You may be able to have that experience as well, and, if so, don’t forget your walking shoes.