The student news site of Seneca Valley Senior High School.

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

Live to have a story to tell, like Seneca Valley’s very own Mr. McFeely

Every student has their preferred hobbies and forms of enjoyment, such as sports. Believe it or not, everyone was a student once, even Seneca Valley’s very own Dean of Students, Mr. McFeely, who was a Seneca Valley student and graduated in 1999.

Mr. McFeely is currently the Dean of Students and Assistant Football Coach; he has been teaching at Seneca for 6 years and held the position of Dean for 2. Being Seneca Valley’s Assistant Football Coach, Mr. McFeely has some experience in the active sporting field. His high school years consisted of playing on the varsity football and baseball teams. When asked about his favorite memory, Mr. McFeely said, “My best memory was also the hardest: 1997, we played USC in the WPIAL semifinals, at Newman Stadium for a trip to three rivers. We played on an ice-covered field and lost 14-10.”

Some might question the importance of Mr. McFeely’s job or why he chooses to do it, but to him those questions are easy. “I got into teaching and coaching because I had a lot of influential teachers and coaches that made a difference and I’m hoping to return the favor to others. One thing I would tell my younger self is to get involved more. There’s a lot that SV has to offer, and I never took that advantage as a student.”

Life is difficult; there are lot of ups and downs for everyone, but remember that you’re not the only one. There are teachers in school that you can relate to.  Some teachers say just to get good grades, don’t be crazy or reckless, that your education should come first. But then there are others such as Mr. McFeely, who said, “While it’s important to get work done, try and enjoy your time as a student. Go to the Friday night games, join a club, and go to prom and homecoming, because that’s what you will remember from your experience.”

Life is short; enjoy what you can while you can. Take the advice from a teacher, even if it’s something you thought you would never do. Don’t give yourself something to regret.