The student news site of Seneca Valley Senior High School.

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

Seneca Scout

Life on the swim team

Keira Albenz is a ninth grader who has been swimming since she was 7 years old. She swims with around 40 others on the Seneca Valley team.

Her experience with the team has been good so far. “The meets are a lot of fun. Everyone is super nice. It is nice to be able to compete with other schools and get an overview of how you are swimming compared to other competitors,” said Albenz.

The team has six practices a week that alternate between morning and afternoon, either 5:40 a.m. or 3 p.m. On the days that the practice is in the morning, Keira wakes up at 4:30 a.m. and her parents drive her to the school since the activity bus doesn’t pick you up at that time. After practice, the swimmers have about one hour to get ready for the school day. “The other girls and I get ready together after the practice. We take a shower in the pool locker room and do our makeup and hair stuff,” Albenz said.

Her diet is not restricted, and consists of four meals with a lot of protein. “I should eat more carbs because I burn a lot of calories while I’m swimming,” she said. On competition days she eats chicken and rice that the school provides for the swimmers, and also a protein bar so she can have extra energy.

“Competitions hype me up and they always show me what I need to improve. I feel very nervous in competition, but I still like them,” Albenz explained.

The swim season began in early December and will continue into the spring. Best of luck to the Seneca Valley swim team!